Better with the Butterfly
Non-GMO Month is a time to celebrate transparency in our food system, support biodiversity, and protect our genetic inheritance for future generations. The Non-GMO Project believes that you have a right to know how your food was grown. As a nonprofit organization, our mission is to provide rigorous product verification and trustworthy education that empowers people to care for themselves, the planet and future generations.
"Together, small acts lead to powerful movements – and good things follow."
Why Back the Butterfly?
1. Support Food Sovereignty. Patented GMO seeds place the world's food resources in the hands of multinational corporations. Agricultural monopolies restrict farmers’ choices and use their immense power to shape policy to their own benefit. We believe farmers have the right to preserve a rich array of genetic resources, maintaining diversity that is essential for natural future crop improvement and resiliency to changing environmental conditions.
2. Uphold Equity. Genetically engineered crops, agrichemicals, and associated technologies are expensive for farmers, especially smallholder farmers who grow over 70% of the world’s food. By cultivating traditional and locally-adapted crop varieties, these farmers contribute to global agricultural biodiversity. Fostering inclusive and resilient food systems that benefit farmers of all scales and regions is essential to ensuring global food security and sustainability.
3. Preserve Biodiversity. Protecting nature's genetic diversity helps maintain resilient ecosystems, healthy soil, clean water and abundant wildlife. A non-GMO food system helps to preserve the earth's biodiversity.
4. Support Non-GMO Research and Education. The Non-GMO Project is North America’s only organization tracking new GMOs in development. Our dedicated research team follows the latest in the biotech industry, which is growing faster than ever. Our ability to educate millions of people with critical information about GMOs is made possible by our donors.
5. Reduce pesticide use. Over 90% of soy and corn grown in the United States is genetically engineered to withstand weedkillers. Non-GMO crops help farmers exit the pesticide treadmill while supporting clean ecosystems and waterways.
6. Believe in Something More than empty promises. Despite biotech food industry claims, there is no evidence that any of the GMOs in widespread commercial production offer meaningful increased yield, drought tolerance or climate resilience. Most of these empty claims are just marketing – and not backed by science.
7. Maintain Transparency and Choice. Transparency in our food system empowers individuals to make choices that align with their dietary preferences, health requirements and personal beliefs. By supporting informed choice through appropriate labeling, we can encourage food companies to be more transparent about their ingredients, sourcing and production methods. Informed choice in our food system is not simply a matter of personal taste; it's a fundamental right.
8. Create a Meaningful Shift Toward Organic and Regenerative. Non-GMO is the first step toward organic and regenerative farming. Non-GMO reduces farmers' dependence on synthetic fertilizers and agrichemicals, creating a pathway to better, more holistic systems.
How to participate in Non-GMO Month
1. Make a Generous Donation
Your dollars help fund our research, our educational campaign programming and our Equitable Transfer Program, which supports businesses led by people of color in pursuing Non-GMO Project verification.
Follow us on our social media channels. Share our content. Use #NonGMOMonth or #BetterWiththeButterfly when sharing your favorite Verified products or fall recipes.
3. Shop Brands With the Butterfly
Everytime you see a label with the Butterfly, you know that brand has made a commitment to the most rigorous non-GMO standard. Find Non-GMO Project Verified products here.
Small acts lead to remarkable movements. Help us continue our work!
What to Watch
The non-GMO movement has been featured in many award-winning documentaries that are a perfect watchlist for October:
1. Common Ground
: See it in theaters now! Watch the trailer
. Discover the future of regenerative living in "Common Ground," the captivating sequel to the acclaimed documentary, "Kiss the Ground." Embark on a transformative journey as the film explores regenerative agriculture's power to rejuvenate our world, bridging the gap between people, food systems and the environment. Join the movement for positive change.